Friday, September 20, 2013

The Perfect Side Dish: Peach/Mango Salsa & Cauliflower Rice

In the past few months I have had many conversations with different people and the Paleo Diet comes up. 

First of all, what is the Paleo Diet? 
It is a diet based on eating foods like our hunter-gatherer ancestors did during the Paleolithic era. These foods would be Fresh meat (preferably grass-fed or free-ranged) fish, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthy oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut, and flaxseed). They stay away from cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars, and processed foods because they weren't a part of our ancestral menu!

What is my take on this!?! I have to say, I LOVE this diet but I could never follow it totally because I'm still gunna eat whole grains. AND Let's face it, I LOVE CEREAL!!!! Not the sugary stuff....I eat stuff like "harvest grain" and oatmeal. 
However, I will tell you that I am now more likely to look up the "Paleo" versions of things I normally cook to see how they change things up! 

I'm so excited to share this post with you because it is SOOOOOO good! I just called it "the perfect side" because it will go with any chicken or fish you feel like preparing...Pictured below is Mahi Mahi that we simply marinated in olive oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and lemon juice! Baked for 20 minutes in 350 degrees! 
So here it is! First thing I am going to tell you about is Cauliflower Rice! I don't know how I'm JUST finding out about this because it's so good and so easy! I tried this thanks to my sister and I can't tell her "thanks" enough for introducing this to me! 

All you need is:
  • 1 small head of cauliflower
  • 1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 lime
  • 3-4 tablespoons of chopped fresh Cilantro 
  • a pinch of salt

    All you do is chop your cauliflower up into course chunks. Then add them to your food processor. Pulse until you get the consistency of little rice pieces. This only took about a minute. It goes very quickly! If you don't have a food processor, you can simply grate the chunks of cauliflower with a cheese grater! It will take longer but at least you don't have to deprive yourself from this yummy dish.
       
    Simply cook on the stove in a pot with your coconut oil for about 15 minutes.
    Pull away from the heat and squeeze your lime juice, stir in fresh chopped cilantro, pinch of salt, and serve!
    Seriously, can you believe the picture below isn't rice!?! 
    And you won't believe the taste.
    This next side, Peach/Mango salsa, is perfect with the cauliflower rice because you also have the seasoning of cilantro and lime! 
    What you will need:
    • 2 peaches
    • 2 avocados
    • 1 mango
    • 1 lime
    • 3-4 Tablespoons Cilantro
    • 1/4 an onion(or add more if you like onion)
    • a little dash of salt
    • *optional* Diced Jalapeño for a little kick

    Simply chop up your peach, mango, and avocado in the chunks you desire and mix together in a large bowl.
    Squeeze in your lime juice.
    Then I added my cilantro a LITTLE bit of onion to a small food processor to dice it up. The friend I was having over hates onions! You can't tell they are in the salsa when you process them but if your family doesn't mind you can also just chop up the cilantro and onion.
    Mix into the bowl gently!
    There you have it! 
    All I can say is YUMMMMMMM!
    I don't know if you can see but in the back left corner of the plate is a little Jalapeño. My husband cut them up and cooked them in a little coconut oil.....We left it out of the main bowl so kids could eat it but we added it to the plates for the adults who wanted a little kick! It really added flavor. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...