Here is my first post where I show you how I convert a normal recipe to make it a little more healthy for your family but just as YUMMY!
Pumpkin Swirl Muffins are a perfect blend of spicy pumpkin with a little swirl of cheesecake on top. My kind of muffin and a wonderful treat around the holidays! This recipe makes about 12 regular size muffins.
- 1 15oz can of pumpkin (I used organic)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (in this case you can also use olive or coconut oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar (There are MANY great substitutes for white sugar. I used Agave nectar which they now sell in most grocery stores but you might have to go to the health section. Stevia is a good natural choice or one of my favorites 100% Maple Syrup! You normally don't have to use as much as the recipe calls for so in this case I used 3/4 cup Agave Nectar.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-pourpose flour (I blogged about white vs. 100% whole grain so you can understand why I would make different choices when it comes to this area and other options you have. I had Spelt flour on hand so I used= 1 1/2 cups Spelt flour. To make this Gluten free use Buckwheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (For those of you who are Lactose intolerant like I am there is a great substitute for cream cheese made by Tofutti and is pictured below)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sugar (4 tablespoons of Agave nectar)
- 1/8 teaspoons vanilla extract
- about 6 Graham crackers (Trader Joes has YUMMY Graham crackers made without high fructose corn syrup, pictured below)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (dairy free option : Earth balance)
Start by preheating your oven to 350F (180C)
Mix pumpkin, oil, and sugar (agave) together.
I let my kids lick the beaters but you always have to be carful with this when raw egg is in the mixture!
Add a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture on top of each muffin.
- mini muffins : 20-25 min
- standard muffins: 25-30 min
- jumbo muffins: 30-40 min
You will know they are ready when toothpick or butter knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.
Here is a picture of finished product, NO white flour and NO white sugar and showing off the YUMMY graham cracker crust!